Benefits and applications of A2P text messaging (SMS)
I believe everyone is familiar with SMS or short message service. SMS are divided into two categories: P2P and A2P. P2P are (person to person/peer to peer) short messages SMS that we are all accustomed to. A2P is where SMS are sent from application to individuals. As business to consumer interaction evolve, more companies are turning to A2P SMS to attract and interact with target customers in a reliable, fast, and safe way. Examples of these types of SMS includes credit card transaction alerts, online store shipping notifications, appointment reminders, promotions, meeting notifications, and two-factor authentication passwords for account security.
Benefits of A2P SMS
Short message (SMS) is the main mobile service used by enterprises to communicate with customers. A2P messaging has been widely used for commercial purposes for the following reasons.
1) Personalization: Consumers prefer short and personalized communication. A2P messaging for enterprises can provide customers with a more intimate experience.
2) Effectiveness: The reading rate of SMS is higher and faster than that of email. 95% of text messages are read by the recipient, while only 17% of emails are read.
3) Timeliness: Compared with e-mail, SMS messages are opened more frequently and faster, and are usually read within 3 minutes on average. Most people do not leave their mobile phones unattended. SMS message can meet the more urgent needs of end users.
4) Coverage: Everyone has mobile phones, but not everyone has social media such as WeChat and FB. As a result, phones are more suitable for interaction between enterprises and customers.
A2P SMS application
With the popularization of SMS, more industries and service providers are beginning to realize the benefits of A2P messaging. Here are some typical applications that companies have used A2P.
1) Two-factor authentication: SMS-based two-factor authentication using A2P messaging through a one-time password (OTP), is a fast, reliable and safe method to improve account security or verify user account changes. This method can further enhance security when used with VPNs in home offices to access the corporate office network.
2) Embed CRM applications: Most companies already have or plan to have a customer management system (CRM), because all companies understand that customers are the foundation for their survival and development. Through the combination of A2P and CRM, communication and response speed between enterprises and customers is more effective and significantly improved, ultimately, improving workflow and gaining customers.
3) Instant messaging software: The rise of social communication software such as WeChat, Telegram and Whatsapp may greatly reduce P2P SMS (SMS), while indirectly drive for the growth of A2P messaging. As consumers increasingly use social software to replace SMS for personal communications, A2P SMS for corporate communications has become the most effective way for companies to attract customers.
4) Internet of Things (IoT): With the increasing trend of Internet of Things (IoT), A2P messaging will play an important role in enabling users to securely protect and communicate with their devices through various alerts and notifications. For example, security equipment can use A2P to directly send alarm messages to multiple pre-registered mobile phones.
All in all, A2P SMS has become an effective way for enterprises to reach customers, and the demand for real-time activation of cloud SMS is also rising. Recently, Eton has opened a self-service function, which enables developers to easily test and deploy A2P messaging APIs. Or simply use the Excel data upload tool to realize automatic group sending of short messages. Interested customers can simply sign up for trial online at sms.etoncloud.com or contact us through the official website www.etonict.com.